Portraiture

We was given the  of creating 4 portrait images of subjects of our choosing. We should be concentrating on what makes the image, this means factors such as the lighting and compositions of the image and where the subject (and any props) are placed within the frame of the image. Personally i decided to shoot later in the day to get a darker lighting, using a high light shooting light directly down to give a noire like effect. I also took inspiration with this idea from the poster for the original Exorcist movie. I played around with casting shadows and making the image seem moody yet clear.

Portrait 1
Portrait 1

For the first Image I went for a more wide image approach, this allowed me to show the shadows created on the body and emphasize it. In light room I’ve brought up the highlights and shadows while also tweaking the black and white balances.

Portrait 2
Portrait 2

The second image I wanted to obscure the models face, I did this by getting them to look straight ahead getting  the light to not hit their face as much. Then in light room I brought the shadows up slightly. The source of light can not be seen in the image but you can see the beam it’s producing against the wall, I feel this gives a spotlight like effect and creates a dark and mysterious atmosphere.

Portrait 3
Portrait 3
Portrait 4
Portrait 4

Portraits 3 and 4 are both very similar in terms of the models pose but between them i changed the distance from the model leaving more of the area around the model. I turned up the clarity of the images to bring out the textures of the wall behind which gives it a nice rough look which matches that of the leather jacket. I made the background lighter to help show the texture of the wall. I managed to keep some shadows on the model while keeping the detail in the image.